Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Worst Doctor

I have just advised an alcoholic patient to continue destroying herself rather than stop altogether.

Yes, it may be healthier for her to wean herself off slowly, especially given the circumstances, but I can't help but to second guess every decision I make lately.  I've not been sleeping well.  Fortunately, I've gone from spending all my time studying to simply sobbing.

Sal has tried to speak with me.  I've brushed him off.  I brushed everyone off that hasn't come to me for help.  I know, yes, I'm not the first doctor in history that has ever lost a patient.  I know Blair won't...probably won't be the last.

But what if I told Sheryl the wrong thing?  What if this is a huge mistake?  What if my advice...what if it kills her too?

I've spoken with...a friend, about this.  She says I'm being too hard on myself, and maybe I am, but aren't doctors supposed to be on a higher standard than others?  We take peoples' lives into our hands.  Aren't we supposed to work hard to be worthy of that task?  Am I still worthy of it?

I don't know.  I don't know what to think anymore.  If I can lose so much confidence in myself over losing just one patient...how can I persist in a job like this?

4 comments:

  1. God, you humans and your attachments! Who cares if one out of seven billion people in the world dies?! This is one of the hundreds of reasons why being a camper is so much easier.

    ~Camper Iota

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same philosophy.

    I'm not a camper though just a record keeper.

    See you can be an uncaring ass without giving up your free will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was uncaring before becoming a Camper so, yes you can be uncaring without being one with EAT. Of course it's always nice to have someone new in the hive-mind.

      ~Camper Iota

      Delete
  3. Oh don't worry! I'm sure she'll be fine! Heh.

    -J

    ReplyDelete