Friday, July 20, 2012

Types of Runners

I've been operating this place for a number of years now and I've seen people come and go. I have a pretty stable group of employees now, but I tend to categorize people. It's a bad habit, I know, but I can't help it. So here are some types of runners I've seen (feel free to ignore):

  • The hounded: runners from the Dog. Yes, this is a bad pun, but I don't care. These runners tend to be tight-lipped and quiet, flinching away at the sight of any canine (no matter the size). Occasionally, I would come across one that would simply confess all of their sins to me upon first meeting - apparently, in the belief that if everyone knew their secrets, they could stop running. It never worked, unfortunately.
  • The hypochondriacs: runners from the Doctor. Most of the ones I saw were obsessively clean, wiping everything down multiple times. And god help them if they caught a cold - although I can't blame them for that, since I've seen what the Doctor can do with the common cold and it isn't pleasant.
  • The herds: groups of runners, generally running from the Boy. Nobody wants to be alone when running from that cold little kid. They tend to go everywhere with someone else - which isn't a bad idea, until you just want to be alone for once. I haven't encountered many herds, they don't generally last that long.
  • The hear-no-evils: runners from the Choir. Haven't met many, but the few I have seen tried to drown out all sound with some noise-cancelling headphones. Not sure if they worked, but they just wrote everything down and ignored whatever it was they were hearing.
  • The lone wolves: okay, this doesn't start with the letter H. I do have another name for them, but I don't like using it, because it only encourages them: the heroes. What are they running from? They aren't. They are chasing. They are searching. They want to fight, usually for revenge of some sort. And they always travel alone. I let them stay, because they don't cause trouble when they're here, but they always leave quickly.

There's another reason I don't like lone wolves. When a normal runner decides to stop running - when he decides that it's enough, to just stay put, he may put up a fight. He may die or even get enough energy to keep going or perhaps the thing chasing them will ease up just enough to let them live for another day. But that's for a normal runner.

For a lone wolf, it's not like that. They don't fight, they war. And the things after them won't ease up or back down. And if they break? If they become a servant to the thing they hate? They become so much worse than a normal servant. So much worse.

At least, from what I've seen and heard. From the stories runners have told me. Don't know how much is accurate, but this isn't Wikipedia, so I don't really care.

In the past few days, we've been seeing a bit more of an influx from runners. But they aren't any type of runners I've seen before. In any case, though, business is business. I shouldn't complain.

1 comment:

  1. Hero. Ha,I'm sure a lot of them think that. Not me though. I know I'm no hero. Heroes are noble and pure and good. Like I've said before I lost everything that was good in me that night. I know what would happen if I break and I know how close I am to breaking at all times. You other Lone Wolves out there, especially any read my blog and decided to emulate me (I really hope I'm not responsible for that but there's probably at least one out there) you *need* to take steps to make sure that doesn't happen. I've got two contingency plans myself, one is for if I'm still able to hold on a while longer and it involves a very special vest and me luring as many Servants as I can into a place no one else will be harmed by the explosion. The other is a close friend with a gun and permission to decide for himself if I'm too far gone. If you have any concern left for people other than yourself you other Lone Wolves will make similar plans because sooner or later you *will* break, assuming you live long enough.

    ReplyDelete